Coastal Flood WARNING in effect for:
Coastal Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Jersey City voters to decide fate of short-term rental regulationsPosted: Updated:
Voters in Jersey City are set to decide the fate of short-term rental regulations in the city.
Ahead of Tuesdays’ election, Jersey City residents say they have been bombarded with robocalls and campaign ads about the topics. Another rally was held in the city Friday to address the issue, which has become a hot-button topic in the city.
“Why are we giving the government more opportunities to take our money away?” asks Airbnb host Felicia Palmer.
Palmer says that being able to rent out her property through the Airbnb app has helped her keep a roof over her head during hard times.
“If I hadn’t had the extra income from Airbnb, I would not have been able to pay that mortgage,” she says.
Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop says that the city imposed tougher regulations on the rentals due to complaints from residents.
“We have more and more complaints to the City Council and my office about quality of life issues because of these unregulated hotels in the middle of the block,” he says.
Airbnb opposed the regulations and has supported a petition drive that forced the issue on to the ballot. The ordinance would limit what types of properties and for how many days a year a property can be rented on Airbnb or a similar program.
The campaign for a "No" vote on measure received support from Carpenters Union Local 253 and the NAACP on Friday.
- Voters in two local school districts have decided to raise their own taxes to fund mental health services in their schools.
- The Thanks4Giving kicked off Saturday with hundreds of runners in Asbury Park raising money for the Special Olympics New Jersey.
- Officials say five people are in custody in connection to the shooting at Pleasantville High School during a football game Friday night that left three people injured.
- State Fish and Wildlife officials located a coyote's den just a day after someone was attacked by one of the animals near Rutgers University.
- This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury