New Jersey officials announce arrests of 19 alleged child predatorsPosted: Updated:
New Jersey's Attorney General Gurbir Grewal announced the arrest of 19 alleged child predators this morning in Somerset County.
The suspects have all been charged with attempting to lure minors for sex.
The attorney general, along with Somerset County Prosecutor Michael Robertson, announced the arrests as part of a collaborative child protection sting operation, they call "Operation Open Door."
According to the attorney general, the defendants used social media and chat apps to arrange for sex with underage girls and boys, but instead, they were communicating with undercover officers posing as children.
"By arresting them, we've not only stopped them in their tracks, but we've also stopped others by sending a powerful message that no matter who you are, no matter where you're hiding, or what apps you are using, if you try to target young people for sex, we will find you and when we do, we will arrest you," says Grewal .
Sixteen of the defendants are from New Jersey and were arrested when they arrived at undercover houses throughout the state which were staffed with dozens of law enforcement officers between Oct. 23 through Oct. 28.
One defendant drove in from Pennsylvania, and two were in the state for work from Indiana.
The Somerset County Prosecutor's Office joined the FBI, the New Jersey Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force and many other law enforcement agencies to make the arrests.
- Heads up the next time you want to warm up your car before you get going in the morning – it could land you a $250 fine.
- Get ready to bundle up tonight – New Jersey is getting its first taste of winter for the season.Get ready to bundle up tonight – New Jersey is getting its first taste of winter for the season.
- The entire cast of the long-running soap opera series “Days of Our Lives” has been released from their contract, according to a report from TVLine.
- Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter has been admitted to Emory University Hospital for a surgery to relieve pressure on his brain, caused by bleeding due to his recent falls.
It’s not just Millennials who are into taking selfies. Montclair native Buzz Aldrin took one of the earliest selfies while in outer space for during the Gemini 12 in 1966.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.