‘I lost my mind during the storm’ – 7 years later Sandy still a painful memoryPosted: Updated:
It has been seven years since Superstorm Sandy made landfall in New Jersey.
Many areas of the Garden State that were not expected to see flooding did flood during the storm. Northern Monmouth County experienced some of the worst flooding in the state. Some residents say that the memories of the storm are still painful.
“I lost my mind during the storm,” says Port Monmouth resident, Dawn. “It was bad.”
Dawn did not wish to reveal her last name, but says that the days following the storm are still fresh in her mind.
“I had a ranch home. I had six feet of water in the ranch home. The insurance guy came out, first thing he said is, ‘I ain’t buying you a new home,’” she says.
It wasn’t only the storm that impacted many New Jersey residents. It was also the rebuilding process and some contractors who were less than honest with their customers.
“He doesn't know how to build a home. He doesn't listen to the homeowner, he builds what he wants to build,” says Dawn. “He doesn't come out when you pay him. I didn't know what to do. I didn’t know who to turn to. I ended up getting a bald spot in my head as big as my hand.”
Many homes in towns like Port Monmouth have now been raised to help limit the amount of flood damage. Tuesday saw lots of rain around New Jersey and parts of Port Monmouth were flooding – a reminder that the town is still vulnerable to storms.
“My experience was bad. But I can’t even imagine what other people’s experience would be,” says Dawn. “I had my brother that really helped me a lot.”
State officials say that some of the worst damage from Sandy happened miles inland on the back bays and rivers.
Over 700 Sandy victims have still not had their homes fully rebuilt, according to state authorities.
- Police say a Newark man was arrested Saturday for illegally selling alcohol in the restaurant he owns.
- A vehicle overturned and caught fire in Bound Brook Saturday night and now police are looking for the driver.
- It's time to take a hike! Are you going to spend time outdoors for National Take a Hike Day?It's time to take a hike! Are you going to spend time outdoors for National Take a Hike Day?
- Santa Claus got a head start on delivering toys this holiday season in Monmouth County.Santa Claus got a head start on delivering toys this holiday season in Monmouth County.
- A Linden man is accused of lighting his home on fire and assaulting a police officer.A Linden man is accused of lighting his home on fire and assaulting a police officer.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury