'Who Gives a Sweat' event in Jersey City raises funds for breast cancer awarenessPosted: Updated:
An event in Jersey City raised money for families affected by breast cancer by sweating it out Saturday.
Around 70 people registered to take part in the "Who Gives a Sweat" fitness festival to raise money to help benefit New Jersey women battling breast cancer.
According to breastcancer.org – one in eight women develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lives.
Michele Cotter is a breast cancer survivor. She's the reason the "Who Gives a Sweat" fitness festival started in 2017.
"I got a diagnosis of cancer free right after my first surgery," said Cotter. "I was very lucky. It wasn't as bad as they had thought and just had reconstruction surgeries. No chemo, no radiation."
Kate Petrides is living with state four metastatic breast cancer. She was first diagnosed at 25 years old. Petrides is currently on four different chemotherapies – some for her body and some for her brain. Metastatic breast cancer is the most advanced stage of the disease, but Petrides says it is also one of the most underfunded.
The goal of the event was to raise $100,000. One group benefiting from the fundraiser is METAvivor -- a nonprofit dedicated to those affected with stage four metastatic breast cancer.
Petrides is one of at least two local women who will also receive funds for more treatment.
- The family of missing 25-year-old Freehold woman Stephanie Parze will begin their own search for her today in the extensive woods surrounding Michael Tighe Park.
- Police dashcam video in West Windsor captured a stopped car on the tracks when an Amtrak train barreled through it at high speed.
- Police in Glassboro say a man was killed after his motorized scooter collided with a car.Police in Glassboro say a man was killed after his motorized scooter collided with a car.
- Authorities say a New Jersey woman left a 4-year-old girl alone in a hotel room while she gambled at a Pennsylvania casino.
- Wawa is set to open its newest location in New Jersey Thursday, but will first be hosting a Taste of Wawa event today.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.