Jersey couple runs multimillion-dollar company to spread snacks around the world

Posted: Updated:

A New Jersey couple is running a multimillion-dollar company that brings people snacks from around the world.

Eli Zauner and Monique Bernstein once worked for Procter and Gamble in Ohio. They met at a Mardi Gras party and connected on their interest in entrepreneurship.

"It took three months of us dating before Monique came home with a list of business ideas,” says Zauner.

It wasn't long before they came up with the idea for Universal Yums. Creating boxes of snacks from different countries and sending them to subscribers each month. Bernstein says at the start, they each invested $4,000 into the business.

The couple started by packing boxes in their apartment. The first monthly box that they sent out was snacks from Germany in 2014. Now the boxes are packed in a 21,000-square foot warehouse in Parsippany.

The two moved the business to New Jersey to be near a major seaport. Zauner says they will ship about 1 million boxes this year.

“It's about 88% in the United States and the remaining 12% is between Canada, Australia, the UK and Israel,” says Zauner.

This month’s box has snacks from Austria. November’s box will be snacks from Spain.

Zauner says during their first full year in business, they made $700,000 in revenue. This year they are projected to make $21 million.

The couple will soon move the business into a 48,000-square foot warehouse in Roseland. The couple also plans to get married in May.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."