Woman claims Dunkin' employee spilled burning hot tea on her at drive-thru, caused severe burn

Posted: Updated:

A woman is suing a Dunkin’ in Union County after claiming she suffered a severe burn when hot tea spilled onto her lap at the drive-thru.

Lateefah Shell, 41, of Plainfield, says in her suit the alleged incident happened back on Oct. 24, 2017 at the Dunkin' on Clinton Avenue.

According to the suit filed last week, the worker "carelessly and negligently did not properly close the lid of a hot teacup" at the window.

The suit says the hot tea spilled on Shell's lap as the employee passed the cup through the window.

Shell claims she suffered a severe burn, which incurred medical bills and other damages.

Her attorney is seeking a jury trial and unspecified damages.

A company spokesperson said in an email they do not comment on pending litigation.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."