Atlantic City Mayor Frank Gilliam Jr. resigns following wire fraud guilty pleaPosted: Updated:
The mayor of Atlantic City has resigned, hours after pleading guilty to wire fraud charges.
“It is with a heavy heart that I tender my resignation as the Mayor of Atlantic City, effective immediately. I would like to apologize to the residents of the great City of Atlantic City,” Mayor Frank Gilliam Jr. wrote in a letter obtained by News 12 New Jersey.
Gilliam, a Democrat, admitted that he defrauded a basketball club out of $87,000.
The plea comes 10 months after the FBI raided Gilliam’s Atlantic City home. According to court papers, that FBI search found about $41,000 in cash – nearly half of the amount that he is said to have solicited under false pretenses.
Gilliam previously said in a statement that his actions are not connected to his conduct as mayor.
Several New Jersey leaders – including Gov. Phil Murphy – called for Gilliam’s resignation. Murphy called Gilliam’s actions “despicable.”
Gilliam could face 20 years in prison when he is sentenced. He also agreed to pay restitution.
Atlantic City Council President Marty Small will be sworn in as mayor Friday at 12 p.m.
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.
- Officials are offering a $1,500 reward to help find a hit-and-run driver who severely injured a child in Watchung.
- A Berkeley Township bus driver was arrested Thursday for being under the influence while on the job, police say.A Berkeley Township bus driver was arrested Thursday for being under the influence while on the job, police say.
- Authorities in Jackson have arrested a man wanted since late September, accused of choking and shocking a woman multiple times with a Taser in a Wawa parking lot.Authorities in Jackson have arrested a man wanted since late September, accused of choking and shocking a woman multiple times with a Taser in a Wawa parking lot.
- The driver accused of killing a 15-year-old boy and injuring his father in a hit-and-run crash in Lakewood faced a judge Tuesday.The driver accused of killing a 15-year-old boy and injuring his father in a hit-and-run crash in Lakewood faced a judge Tuesday.
- State police are asking for the public’s help finding the man who used a bar to try and burglarize a pizzeria in Monmouth County.State police are asking for the public’s help finding the man who used a bar to try and burglarize a pizzeria in Monmouth County.
- DJ LeMahieu and Aaron Hicks stunned Justin Verlander with first-inning home runs, James Paxton made the early lead stand up and the New York Yankees beat Houston 4-1 Friday night, cutting the Astros' lead in the AL Championship Series to 3-2.
- A man's body was found lying in the middle of a street in Howell Friday, leading police to open up a homicide investigation.A homicide investigation is underway in Howell after a man’s body was found lying in the middle of a street.
- State police say three people were killed, and another seriously injured, following an early morning multi-vehicle crash on Interstate 80 in the Parsippany-Troy Hills area.
- The American Dream mega mall in East Rutherford is set to open its doors in exactly one week, and opening inside -- the Nickelodeon Universe theme park.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the state for beer-lovers to visit. Check out our list for breweries in your area.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
Craving something savory or sweet? It doesn't really matter when it comes to food trucks, where you can have it all -- you just have to know where to find them! Here is a list of food trucks and where you could find them in New Jersey.