Wooden Walls Project showcases art at Asbury Park BoardwalkPosted: Updated:
In the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, a New Jersey artist wanted to highlight the rebuilding efforts following the storm.
This is where Asbury Park’s Wooden Walls Project came in.
"There were structures that would need reinforcement after the hurricane, they would put wooden walls up,” says creator Jenn Hampton. "We could put art on them and then that would create an engagement that would not make people think about the sadness of Sandy, but the hopefulness of rebuilding."
There are murals and other creative works displayed all over the Asbury Park Boardwalk because of this project. The art comes from hand-picked artists around the world.
“One is an artist, her name is ONEQ and she came here from Japan,” Hampton says.
The project also features art from local artists.
“I have some 20 murals here in Asbury,” says artist Porkchop. “Creating stuff, then I'm at peace...that's my happy place."
Hampton created the project four years ago.
"We provide you with this opportunity to think and engage - be sort of transformed,” she says.
- Officials say they're investigating a police-involved shooting that left one dead in Monmouth County Friday night.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- A Warren Hills High School football game was canceled after two football players tested positive for mononucleosis.
- Rep. Mikie Sherrill discusses her decision to endorse the impeachment inquiry into President Trump.Rep. Mikie Sherrill discusses her decision to endorse the impeachment inquiry into President Trump.
- Investigators are asking for the public's help to identify a woman’s body found floating in the Hudson River.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the state for beer-lovers to visit. Check out our list for breweries in your area.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
Craving something savory or sweet? It doesn't really matter when it comes to food trucks, where you can have it all -- you just have to know where to find them! Here is a list of food trucks and where you could find them in New Jersey.