Coastal Flood WARNING in effect for:
Coastal Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
‘The place will be on a lockdown’ – police discuss security ahead of Semper Five racePosted: Updated:
Seaside Heights police say that they aren’t taking any chances when it comes to the public’s safety during the Seaside Semper Five Marine charity race this weekend.
After an attempted terror attack at the 2016 race, officials say that they are taking security very seriously.
“The place will be on a lockdown,” says Chief Thomas Boyd.
Boyd says that the department is expecting a large crowd for the 5K race. But he says that no problems are expected.
"We bring numerous agencies in: FBI, Homeland Security, DEA. Everybody that we could use, we take in,” he says.
The event features a 1-mile fun run at 9 a.m. and a 5K race at 9:30 a.m. The event benefits the Marine Raider Foundation.
"They'll run all the way down the boardwalk, they'll exit the boardwalk at the north end and they run several blocks in the heights. Then they'll come back and they finish on the boardwalk,” says Tom Nugent with the race committee.
Nugent says that the race grows every year in terms of participants. Boyd says that the crows will not be an issue.
"We have two different off-site areas that are going to be manned with numerous, numerous police officers. This place will be the safest place in the state of New Jersey [Saturday,]” the chief says. “They're going to have a great time. We have everything set up, it's going to run like clockwork."
News 12 New Jersey is a sponsor of the Semper Five race.
- Voters in two local school districts have decided to raise their own taxes to fund mental health services in their schools.
- The Thanks4Giving kicked off Saturday with hundreds of runners in Asbury Park raising money for the Special Olympics New Jersey.
- Officials say five people are in custody in connection to the shooting at Pleasantville High School during a football game Friday night that left three people injured.
- State Fish and Wildlife officials located a coyote's den just a day after someone was attacked by one of the animals near Rutgers University.
- This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury