Coastal Flood WARNING in effect for:
Coastal Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Booker supporters hold watch party for 3rd Democratic presidential debatePosted: Updated:
Supporters of Sen. Cory Booker held a watch party in New Brunswick Thursday for the third Democratic presidential debate.
About 125 people showed up throughout the event at the Harvest Moon Brewery and Café for the only watch party officially endorsed by Booker’s campaign.
Throughout the debate the senator touched on several topics, saying Democrats have one shot to make Donald Trump a one-term president. He also discussed health coverage and criminal justice reform.
His comments were met with applause multiple times during the watch party, including when he spoke about his plans to combat racism.
"If I am president of the United States, we will create an office in the White House to deal with the issue of white supremacy and hate crimes and we will make sure that systemic racism is dealt with…from criminal justice reform to the disparities in health care, to even some that we don't talk about which is the racism that we see and environmental injustice and communities of color all around this country,” Booker said.
Renetta Pierce came to support Booker. She says she's pleased with his performance in the debate.
"He's doing very well. I love him, you know? He is clear and articulate about his views and what he believes and what he's going to do for this country,” she says. “I really believe he's the strongest candidate for president."
Storm Wyche, the New Jersey state director for the Booker campaign, says that this is the largest presidential debate watch party officially held by the campaign in New Jersey for the senator. Wyche adds that there is a reason why the campaign chose this location to hold the event.
“New Brunswick is centrally located across the state so it's a great way to reach a large group of people. There's a lot of young professionals, a lot of students with Rutgers,” Wyche says.
Booker has been running with a message of unity. It was clear that those who attended the watch party are united to support him. In fact, they're so united that Harvest Moon is offering a burger called Cory's Beyond Burger in his honor.
- Voters in two local school districts have decided to raise their own taxes to fund mental health services in their schools.
- The Thanks4Giving kicked off Saturday with hundreds of runners in Asbury Park raising money for the Special Olympics New Jersey.
- Officials say five people are in custody in connection to the shooting at Pleasantville High School during a football game Friday night that left three people injured.
- State Fish and Wildlife officials located a coyote's den just a day after someone was attacked by one of the animals near Rutgers University.
- This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury