Coastal Flood WARNING in effect for:
Coastal Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Devils GM doesn't care if Zacha considers signing with KHLPosted: Updated:
By JOHN WAWROW
AP Hockey Writer
(AP) - New Jersey Devils general manager Ray Shero says he is still attempting to sign center Pavel Zacha amid concerns the former first-round draft pick will play in the Kontinental Hockey League this season.
Peppering his comments with profanities, Shero told The Associated Press on Monday that he doesn't care if Zacha signs with the KHL or with Brampton, an ECHL team. Shero says the Devils still retain the restricted free agent's rights after issuing him a qualifying offer this summer, and he hopes to get a deal completed with training camp opening this week.
Shero says he's unaware if Zacha has signed with a KHL team, though he adds that possibility was raised by the player's agent during a recent conversation.
Shero says playing in the KHL is "not the advice I would give him," and adds "it's a long way back to the NHL" if Zacha goes that route.
Zacha's agent, Patrik Stefan, did not immediately respond to several messages from the AP seeking comment.
Shero called Zacha an "important player" entering a key year in his development. He spoke while watching the Devils' third and final game at the Sabres' prospects tournament in Buffalo.
The 22-year-old Zacha is from the Czech Republic and had a career-best 13 goals in 61 games last season. Overall, he has 29 goals and 47 assists for 76 points in 201 career NHL games.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Voters in two local school districts have decided to raise their own taxes to fund mental health services in their schools.
- The Thanks4Giving kicked off Saturday with hundreds of runners in Asbury Park raising money for the Special Olympics New Jersey.
- Officials say five people are in custody in connection to the shooting at Pleasantville High School during a football game Friday night that left three people injured.
- State Fish and Wildlife officials located a coyote's den just a day after someone was attacked by one of the animals near Rutgers University.
- This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury