Coastal Flood WARNING in effect for:
Coastal Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Ruling deals blow to developer's bid to open betting parlorPosted: Updated:
CAMDEN, N.J. (AP) - A New Jersey developer has lost a round in its court battle to build a sports betting parlor on the site of a former racetrack.
A federal judge said in an opinion this week that companies associated with the former operators of Garden State Park likely can prove that a 1999 document gives them exclusive rights to offer wagering at the Cherry Hill facility. The last horse races there were held in 2001.
Developer Cherry Hill Towne Center Partners, which now owns the property, claims in a lawsuit the document isn't enforceable.
The track is one of only five locations outside Atlantic City casinos that can offer sports betting under New Jersey law.
Since sports gambling was legalized last year, New Jersey gamblers have wagered more than $3 billion.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Voters in two local school districts have decided to raise their own taxes to fund mental health services in their schools.
- The Thanks4Giving kicked off Saturday with hundreds of runners in Asbury Park raising money for the Special Olympics New Jersey.
- Officials say five people are in custody in connection to the shooting at Pleasantville High School during a football game Friday night that left three people injured.
- State Fish and Wildlife officials located a coyote's den just a day after someone was attacked by one of the animals near Rutgers University.
- This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury