Coastal Flood WARNING in effect for:
Coastal Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
New York Fashion Week to feature NJ woman who is in a wheelchairPosted: Updated:
A New Jersey woman who has always dreamed of being a model will get her chance this Saturday during New York Fashion Week.
Kelly Boyd of Hamilton Township was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at age 2, causing joint damage that has left her in a wheelchair. She says that she hopes her opportunity at the fashion show will allow her to send a powerful message about inclusion.
“I actually started to cry and I couldn't believe it and jumped at the chance,” she says. “A lot of shows are not very inclusive or do not feature people with disabilities. And if they do, it's typically not someone who has arthritis, which is very visible."
Boyd was selected to be Ms. Wheelchair New Jersey in 2006. She now works as a disability advocate. She connected with fashion designer Michael Kuluva, who also has rheumatoid arthritis.
Kuluva includes “arthritis-friendly clothing” in his fashion line Tumbler and Tipsy.
“We have magnetic closures. We have more zippers. We have more Velcro,” he says.
Boyd says she's ready for her moment in the spotlight.
"I enjoy fashion. I like to look nice for work and the presentations I give. And so, I think it's important to have people like myself represented in these shows,” she says.
The Tumbler and Tipsy fashion show that Boyd is featured in is presented by CreakyJoints, an online community of arthritis patients. It takes place Saturday night, in Chelsea.
- Voters in two local school districts have decided to raise their own taxes to fund mental health services in their schools.
- The Thanks4Giving kicked off Saturday with hundreds of runners in Asbury Park raising money for the Special Olympics New Jersey.
- Officials say five people are in custody in connection to the shooting at Pleasantville High School during a football game Friday night that left three people injured.
- State Fish and Wildlife officials located a coyote's den just a day after someone was attacked by one of the animals near Rutgers University.
- This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury