Valuable lesson learned? -- Dad arranges for police officer to pull over teen sonPosted: Updated:
A traffic stop in Woodbridge turned into a Driver's-Ed lesson for one teenager, and what he didn't know is who was behind the whole thing – his dad.
"In the rearview mirror, I saw the police car and I'm literally like panicking like oh no we're in trouble," says 16-year-old Jason Harrell.
Jason can now say he’s experienced most driver’s fear of getting pulled over.
"I go behind them, I turn on my lights and sirens and immediately his son just swerved right on top of the curb," says Officer Nirav Patel. "When I approached him, he was just shaking with his hands on the wheel he didn't know what to say."
What Jason didn’t know in the moment of panic was the whole incident was arranged by his dad, Scott.
"He says, ‘can you pull over my son?’ And I said what, why would you want me to pull over your son? And then he explained it to me. He said when he saw you in the parking lot and he was scared he got nervous he wanted to leave so he thought it would be a good teaching moment for him," says Patel.
Scott Harrell is a former police officer himself, and says he wanted his son to see a positive moment between police and the community -- rather than others that have flooded the internet.
"This is one of those instances where a young kid, a young African-American kid and a police officer had a great interaction," says Scott.
Scott posted about the interaction between the two on Facebook.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- An event that will be held Saturday at Branch Brook Park in Newark is meant to give training and information about asthma.
- Tests confirm that there is no lead contamination in Belleville's drinking water, officials say.Tests confirm that there is no lead contamination in Belleville's drinking water, officials say.
- This week's workout comes from Allen Rosenbluth at Club Pilates in Oceanside. Grab a paper plate and a ball for a gliding lunge.
- It's time to DANCE! Happy National Dance Day! Do you like to dance?It's time to DANCE! Happy National Dance Day! Do you like to dance?
- As summer says it's final goodbye this weekend, 30,000 people will be headed to the Sea.Hear.Now music festival in Asbury Park Saturday.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.