Coastal Flood WATCH in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
Valuable lesson learned? -- Dad arranges for police officer to pull over teen sonPosted: Updated:
A traffic stop in Woodbridge turned into a Driver's-Ed lesson for one teenager, and what he didn't know is who was behind the whole thing – his dad.
"In the rearview mirror, I saw the police car and I'm literally like panicking like oh no we're in trouble," says 16-year-old Jason Harrell.
Jason can now say he’s experienced most driver’s fear of getting pulled over.
"I go behind them, I turn on my lights and sirens and immediately his son just swerved right on top of the curb," says Officer Nirav Patel. "When I approached him, he was just shaking with his hands on the wheel he didn't know what to say."
What Jason didn’t know in the moment of panic was the whole incident was arranged by his dad, Scott.
"He says, ‘can you pull over my son?’ And I said what, why would you want me to pull over your son? And then he explained it to me. He said when he saw you in the parking lot and he was scared he got nervous he wanted to leave so he thought it would be a good teaching moment for him," says Patel.
Scott Harrell is a former police officer himself, and says he wanted his son to see a positive moment between police and the community -- rather than others that have flooded the internet.
"This is one of those instances where a young kid, a young African-American kid and a police officer had a great interaction," says Scott.
Scott posted about the interaction between the two on Facebook.
- Saturday, Nov. 16, will mark two months since a 5-year-old girl went missing in Cumberland County.Saturday, Nov. 16, will mark two months since a 5-year-old girl went missing in Cumberland County.
- State Sen. Loretta Weinberg says that Gov. Phil Murphy may be releasing campaign workers from their nondisclosure agreements.
- A drive-thru Christmas light display opened for the season Friday night in Sussex County.A drive-thru Christmas light display opened for the season Friday night in Sussex County.
- Heads up the next time you want to warm up your car before you get going in the morning – it could land you a $250 fine.
- It was 100 years ago this week that the Marconi Wireless Company of America officially became the Radio Corporation of America, or RCA.It was 100 years ago this week that the Marconi Wireless Company of America officially became the Radio Corporation of America, or RCA.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury