New Jersey increases aid to the poor by 20%Posted: Updated:
(AP) - New Jersey is boosting cash assistance to some of its poorest residents by 20%.
Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy's administration announced the increase on Wednesday. Department of Human Services Commissioner Carole Johnson said the administration wants help families "get on the strongest possible financial footing."
Under the change, a family of three in the WorkFirstNJ welfare program would see benefits payments increase from $466 a month to $559. The increase was included in the budget that Murphy signed into law earlier this summer.
Human Services Department documents show the number of welfare recipients has been trending down.
In May 2019, there were 10,797 cases under WorkFirst NJ, down from 13,515 in May 2018, a drop of about 20%.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- As summer says it's final goodbye this weekend, 40,000 people were headed to the Sea.Hear.Now music festival in Asbury Park Saturday.
- Some 4 in 10 New Jersyans approve of the job that Gov. Phil Murphy is doing. About the same amount disapprove.
- This week, we're shining the Spotlight on Ville Film Fest in Somerset County. Their first event is set for Oct. 4 through Oct. 6.
- Authorities say one man was killed and another was injured in a shooting in Neptune Township Friday night.
- A Florida man was sentenced to 15 years in federal prison for sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl from Collingwood last year.A Florida man was sentenced to 15 years in federal prison for sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl from Collingwood last year.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.