Pre-K funding announced for 28 more NJ school districtsPosted: Updated:
Gov. Phil Murphy announced Tuesday $20 million in state aid that will fund pre-K in 28 new school districts beginning Oct. 1.
The 28 school districts are located across New Jersey, including in Hudson, Atlantic and Ocean counties. This comes after the governor announced funding to bring high-quality preschool programs to 64 school districts last school year.
"Every single dollar we invest in pre-K helps make New Jersey a more affordable place for our diverse middle class and working families, like those right here in Union City, to raise their families," Gov. Murphy said.
More than 1,400 children in New Jersey will benefit from the latest expansion. Senate Education Chair Teresa Ruiz, who had just dropped her daughter off for her first day of preschool, says she's thankful to the governor for acknowledging that making investments in early childhood creates academic success.
"It is critical for us to understand that it's not an expenditure, and I am grateful for this administration for recognizing that it's truly an investment," Ruiz said.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Sights and scenes from the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards, held Sunday, Sept. 22, 2019, at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
- While costumed space aliens were a common and sometimes hilarious sight in events that began Thursday, no one has reported seeing actual extraterrestrials or UFOs.
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Television celebrity chef and restaurateur Carl Ruiz has died. He was 44.Television celebrity chef and restaurateur Carl Ruiz has died. He was 44.
- The New Jersey chapter of the Make A Wish Foundation held its Walk and Roll for Wishes event in Jersey City Sunday, which helps raise money to make dreams come true for sick children.
- The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office says a woman was fatally shot in Bayonne early Sunday morning.The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office says a woman was fatally shot in Bayonne early Sunday morning.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- It's time for pumpkin everything, change in leaf colors and sweater weather!It's time for pumpkin everything, change in leaf colors and sweater weather!