Coastal Flood WATCH in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
NJ ‘red flag’ law sees support and pushbackPosted: Updated:
Advocates for stronger gun laws say New Jersey’s “red flag” law will save lives, but others say it's an overreach of power and fear it will be abused.
The new law essentially allows certain people to raise a red flag when they think someone could be dangerous.
A family member, partner, ex or roommate can file an extreme risk protection order with police. A hearing is then held held to determine if the claims are valid, and a judge decides whether or not to take guns away from the individual.
Moms Demand Action says it will save lives not just from mass shootings, but from domestic violence and suicide situations as well.
"Nobody thinks that this is going to solve all these problems," says Reba Holley, with Moms Demand Action. "Suicide by gun is not going to go away, but if we can reduce it by half, we've been successful."
Advocates for the Second Amendment are worried.
"We're all about reducing violence," says Alex Roubian, president of New Jersey Second Amendment Society, "but stripping away people from their constitutional God-given right to defend themselves ... it's just a calamity in itself and I think it's overturning our Constitution."
He added he believes the “red flag” law will be abused by "vindictive people" and "law enforcement that don't believe you should have a firearm."
- Saturday, Nov. 16, will mark two months since a 5-year-old girl went missing in Cumberland County.Saturday, Nov. 16, will mark two months since a 5-year-old girl went missing in Cumberland County.
- A drive-thru Christmas light display opened for the season Friday night in Sussex County.A drive-thru Christmas light display opened for the season Friday night in Sussex County.
- Here are some of the top-trending stories that News 12 New Jersey viewers were watching this week.Here are some of the top-trending stories that News 12 New Jersey viewers were watching this week.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury