Tracking satellite from shark washes up on Jersey ShorePosted: Updated:
A tracking satellite originally attached to a thresher shark washed up on the Jersey Shore this week, all the way from the eastern tip of Long Island.
The device was attached to the shark a little over a month ago swimming off the Hamptons.
By design, the device drops off the shark after a month of measuring water temperature depth and location, as part of a study by the South Fork Natural History Museum.
The device came off the shark back on Aug. 23.
Researcher Tobey Curtis Drew tracked it down over social media after it pinged a location Tuesday along Island Beach State Park.
According to published reports, a lifeguard at the beach found it and took it home.
The park contacted Curtis Drew, as there were instructions written on the miniature satellite on what to do if it's found.
There have been reports of thrasher sharks and great white sharks off Long Island and New Jersey throughout the summer.
The winds have been blowing from the northeast all week, which likely carried the satellite to the location at Island Beach State Park.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
‘Please I'm asking you to return the girl’ – Relatives pray for safe return of missing 5-year-old girlRelatives of the 5-year-old girl reported missing Monday afternoon in Bridgeton gathered in the park today, the park police say she was taken from.
- Police say a car smashed through the glass-doored front lobby of the Trump Plaza in New Rochelle, New York.
- Police in Howell say an attempted abduction involving a 6-year-old girl claiming a stranger approached her and placed a bag over her head outside her home may have never happened.
- Several streets will be closed in Paterson today for filming of the HBO production "The Plot Against America."
- The very first Stew Leonard's grocery store in New Jersey has opened its doors to the public.The very first Stew Leonard's grocery store in New Jersey has opened its doors to the public.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.
- A variety of artists will be performing at the Prudential Center in Newark for the rest of 2019 and beyond. Ticket information for the various shows can be found HERE.