Stormy evening expected across New JerseyPosted: Updated:
Powerful thunderstorms could potentially impact New Jersey Wednesday evening.
News 12 New Jersey Meteorologist Dave Curren says that the worst of the storms is expected to develop sometime after the evening rush. But some thunderstorms were already moving through parts of the state by Wednesday afternoon.
Curren says that these storms have the potential to become severe. Most of the state is already under a severe thunderstorm watch, issued by the National Weather Service. These storms could bring heavy rain, leading to flooding conditions. They could also produce winds of 50-60 mph. While chances of hail and/or a weak tornado are lower, severe storms are always capable of producing them.
New Jersey residents are advised to seek shelter if the weather takes a turn for the worse. Lightning could pose a danger to anyone outside. Drivers are urged to refrain from driving through flooded streets to avoid getting stuck in the water.
The storms should move out by Thursday morning. Thursday is expected to see mostly sunny skies, but a thunderstorm has the chance to developing. High temperatures will be in the low-90s. More thunderstorms are possible overnight.
A big cool down is expected for Friday and the weekend. Clouds or a morning shower will give way to some sunshine on Friday, with afternoon highs dropping all the way to the upper-70s. It will also be much less humid. The weekend is looking good with lots of sunshine and similar temperatures.
Stay with News 12 for the latest weather information.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Authorities are offering a $20,000 reward for information that helps find a 5-year-old girl who went missing from a Cumberland County park
- State police have confirmed a portion of a human skull was discovered on a beach in Egg Harbor Township.
- A Morristown man is facing terrorism charges for allegedly scouting out locations for the militant terrorist group Hezbollah to attack.
- Police are looking for a pair of pint-sized thieves who were caught on camera taking packages from someone’s front porch in Roselle.
- Yankees star pitcher Domingo Germán has been placed on administrative leave by Major League Baseball because of domestic violence.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.