President Trump insists US now has 'strong background checks' for gunsPosted: Updated:
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump is insisting the U.S. already has "very, very strong background checks" for gun purchases and is noting many of his supporters "are strong believers in the Second Amendment," in another sign he is backing away from supporting expanded checks.
Trump had said in the wake of shooting massacres in Texas and Ohio that he was looking to implement "very meaningful background checks" and that he and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell very much wanted to "do something."
But Trump said Tuesday that while the current system has "sort of missing areas and areas that don't complete the whole circle," the system is overall "very, very strong."
He says he worries about the potential for a "slippery slope" where "all of a sudden everything gets taken away."
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A portion of Route 206 in Sussex County was shut down for a time after a dump truck struck a person.A portion of Route 206 in Sussex County was shut down for a time after a dump truck struck a person.
- A fisherman from Canada has died after he slipped and fell on the Manasquan Inlet jetty.A fisherman from Canada has died after he slipped and fell on the Manasquan Inlet jetty.
- National Hockey League players announced Monday they will not opt out of the collective bargaining agreement, guaranteeing labor peace until at least 2022.
- "Saturday Night Live" has rescinded its invitation to a cast member who posted a video last year in which he used a racial slur for Chinese people and derided Asians trying to learn English.
- Netflix says it will start streaming all 180 episodes of "Seinfeld" in 2021, gaining a hugely popular addition to its library as the battle for viewers heats up.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.
- A variety of artists will be performing at the Prudential Center in Newark for the rest of 2019 and beyond. Ticket information for the various shows can be found HERE.
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.