Business fined following employee carbon monoxide poisoning deaths

Posted: Updated:

Federal officials have fined a landscaping business in Cresskill $17,000 after two employees of AJR Landscaping died last December of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The incident happened back on Dec. 11, 2018 at Washington Pond, a condo complex in Washington Township.

According to officials, the employees were trying to stay warm in a company-owned trailer when someone started a gas-powered lawn mower.

Officials say the men, both West New York residents, were overcome by carbon monoxide shortly after 8 a.m.

The Occupational and Safety Health Administration says the business never trained the workers on how to recognize the deadly gas.

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."