Police: Dozens of tire-slashings in Lakewood targeted Jewish residentsPosted: Updated:
Police in Ocean County are searching for the suspect who slashed dozens of car tires in Lakewood, and according to investigators, may have been motivated by hate.
The tire-slashing spree began Saturday around 1:40 a.m. on cars parked in front of homes.
The crime spree was caught on surveillance video, where you can see someone going from tire to tire with a knife -- stabbing them.
More than 50 vehicles were targeted, and more than 100 tires were slashed at the Old Pine Acres section of town, an Orthodox Jewish community.
Police are treating the incident as a bias crime. A police spokesperson says every single vehicle hit is owned by someone who is Jewish.
It is unknown if that's just coincidence or if it was on purpose.
The neighborhood is about 60 percent Jewish and 40 percent non-Jewish.
The non-Jewish residents stepped up to help their neighbors since the victims were unable to call police in the middle of Sabbath.
The total repair bill for the slashed tires tops $10,000.
Severeal tire repair crews were on hand Sunday to help replace the slashed tires. The neighborhood has started a fund to help families who need help paying for their new tires.
Residents say they still consider their community a "safe neighborhood."
Police are asking anyone with information to call them.
- Those heading to the new American Dream mall in East Rutherford will be paying for more than just shopping and entertainment.
- Police in New York City say a Department of Transportation employee was killed after one of his colleagues driving a truck accidentally struck and ran him over.
- Authorities in Paterson have arrested a man in connection with the murder of a DoorDash delivery driver.
- Police in Atlantic City are asking for the public’s help identifying a body that washed up on a jetty.
- Moorestown-based maternity wear retailer Destination Maternity has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.Moorestown-based maternity wear retailer Destination Maternity has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.
- Here's the 2019 lineup for the Count Basie Center for the Performing Arts.Here's the 2019 lineup for the Count Basie Center for the Performing Arts.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.