News 12’s Brian Donohue celebrates National Lighthouse DayPosted: Updated:
Aug. 7 marks National Lighthouse Day across the nation.
It was on this day in 1789 that Congress approved an act for the establishment and support of lighthouses, beacons, buoys and public piers.
Congress officially declared the holiday in 1989.
New Jersey is known for having many lighthouses for the public to visit – 11 to be exact.
News 12 New Jersey’s Brian Donohue attempted to climb as many as he could Wednesday to celebrate the holiday.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Six Flags Great Adventure closed early Monday due to a parkwide power outage.Six Flags Great Adventure closed early Monday due to a parkwide power outage.
- State police say a crash on I-80 in Elmwood Park left a teenage girl dead and two other people injured.
- Published reports say a doctor from Kearny fell to his death during a vacation in Ibiza, an island off the coast of Spain.
- A Sussex County family says that they are upset and confused by the firing of their adult daughter with special needs by her employer, Panera Bread.
- The mayor of Bloomfield says that the township is in the process of changing its drinking water supply amid concerns of lead contamination.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- Are you looking for some outdoor fun and adventure this summer? Or maybe you're just thinking up some ideas to help the kids cool off in the summer heat? The tri-state area has a handful of water parks that may do the trick.