New Jersey silversmith crafts trophy used in Hambletonian horse racePosted: Updated:
The 94th annual Hambletonian horse race will be held at the Meadowlands Race Track Saturday.
"The greatest day in harness racing” will offer up $1 million to the winner as well as the Hambletonian trophy – a trophy created by a silversmith from New Jersey.
Ubaldo Vitali was born in Italy as a fourth-generation silversmith. He moved to New Jersey in 1967 and quickly made a name for himself in the trade.
“I had only been here five years and I was called by Cartier to execute for them the Triple Crown trophy for the horse Secretariat,” Vitali says.
He says that it was a request that allowed him to combine his masterful skill and love for horses.
“I don't care how fast they run, even the greatest horses were colts and babies,” he says.
When the Hambletonian came to the Meadowlands in 1981, the organizers contacted Vitali to make the trophy – and he has done so every year since.
“They are all based on the model of the original,” he says. “And although it's a simple bowl with a horse head…it might not be my design or my creation, it is my execution and you still put all you have into it to make sure it is right.”
Racing trophies are not all that Vitali, who is in his mid-70s, known for. He has also been contacted to create original pieces for presidents, popes and members of royalty. He says that every piece takes several months to make.
“They have a meaning, there has to be a symbol. They are given for a purpose,” he says.
Hambletonian coverage begins Saturday at 4 p.m.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police in Winslow Township say one person has died after a New Jersey Transit Access Link van and an SUV collided.Police in Winslow Township say one person has died after a New Jersey Transit Access Link van and an SUV collided.
- New Jersey Transit says a man was struck and killed by a train in Morris Township.New Jersey Transit says a man was struck and killed by a train in Morris Township.
- State police say a man driving a motorcycle was killed in a crash on the Garden State Parkway.State police say a man driving a motorcycle was killed in a crash on the Garden State Parkway.
- Authorities say the man killed in a crash Thursday on I-80 was hit by a truck after running away from a traffic stop.
- Officials say 19 people have been arrested in connection to a drug trafficking ring in Monmouth County.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
- Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.