SUV drags officer, crashes into house after traffic stopPosted: Updated:
A North Plainfield police officer was injured Friday when he was dragged by a vehicle while making a traffic stop, according to witnesses.
Neighbors tell News 12 New Jersey that the officer had pulled over the driver of an SUV at the intersection of Sandford and Brooks avenues when the driver took off in a hurry, dragging the officer behind the vehicle. The driver then lost control of the SUV and crashed into a house, badly damaging it.
The home belongs to North Plainfield resident Keith Thompson. Thompson says that he was on his way outside to trim his bushes, but was stuck inside the home after taking a call from his wife. He says that if he had been outside, the SUV would have struck him.
“I thought it was an earthquake,” Thompson says.
Authorities say that the crash happened around 10:15 a.m. two people were taken into custody following the crash. Charges against them are pending.
The officer, who was not identified, was taken to the hospital and is said to be in stable condition.
Thompson’s home was declared uninhabitable. It was unclear where the family would be staying.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Officials say a fire destroyed three tractor-trailers and a car behind a haunted house attraction in Passaic.
- Authorities say an Elizabeth police officer fired a round after a suspect produced a weapon when ordered to stop.
- Officials in Howell have confirmed water in the Manasquan Reservoir is contaminated with another toxic algae bloom.
- A nursing assistant has been charged with manslaughter in the death of an 85-year-old woman who was in her care.
- A 26-year-old homeless man from West Virginia faces charges for allegedly placing two devices that resembled pressure cookers in a New York City subway station.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
- Check out the 2019 concert series lineup at PNC Bank Arts Center.Check out the 2019 concert series lineup at PNC Bank Arts Center.
- Are you looking for some outdoor fun and adventure this summer? Or maybe you're just thinking up some ideas to help the kids cool off in the summer heat? The tri-state area has a handful of water parks that may do the trick.
- Photos from the 2019 On the Road series.Photos from the 2019 On the Road series.