Section of Lake Hopatcong reopens for swimming following algae bloomPosted: Updated:
A section of Lake Hopatcong has reopened for watersports and training by the Department of Environmental Protection after a harmful algae bloom.
Indian Harbor has been cleared while all beach areas remain closed.
For the past month, harmful algae blooms have plagued Lake Hopatcong and several other lakes in New Jersey.
At Lake Hopatcong, swimming beaches remain closed and visitors are advised to stay out of the water in all other areas besides Indian Harbor.
DEP officials say you can still go out on a boat in those other areas, but they strongly suggest not to make contact with the water.
The bloom can cause a variety of allergic reactions that can become serious.
They also say to not eat any fish caught in the lake, let your pet drink from water or come in contact with it.
The DEP says it's continuously monitoring lakes across New Jersey.
- Police in West Windsor are warning residents about a reported attempted luring after an 11-year-old boy was approached by a vehicle on his way home from school.
- "Real Housewives of New Jersey" husband Joe Giudice is in Italy as he awaits the verdict of his deportation hearing.
- Monday marks the start of New Jersey's black bear hunting season.Monday marks the start of New Jersey's black bear hunting season.
- Big SNOW American Dream, the American Dream mega mall’s indoor ski slope, is set to open Dec. 5.Big SNOW American Dream, the American Dream mega mall’s indoor ski slope, is set to open Dec. 5.
- Carlos Correa hit a leadoff home run in the 11th inning and the Houston Astros won a battle of the bullpens, beating the New York Yankees 3-2.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
Do you like to gamble? Or maybe you're just looking to get away for a weekend or for a night? The tri-state area has a couple casinos that may do the trick. Here is a guide to casinos in the area.
- New York Comic Con is being held at the Javits Center Oct. 3-6, and News 12 is there! Click or tap on the photos to get a look at all of the fun!