Severe Thunderstorm WATCH in effect for:
Heat ADVISORY in effect for:
Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
New Jersey police captain critically injured while leading funeral processionPosted: Updated:
A New Jersey police captain was critically injured after he was struck on his motorcycle while leading a funeral procession.
According to reports, Capt. William Boggier, 58, was taken to University Hospital's intensive care unit in Newark after the crash Tuesday during a procession in Middlesex County.
Orange police say Boggier has life-threatening injuries.
Andrea Boulton, a spokeswoman for the Middlesex County Prosecutor's office, says it's unclear how and when the accident happened -- or who the funeral was for.
Robin Lavorato, a coordinator of the Essex County Opioid Task Force, says Boggier has been active in the county's fight against opioid addiction.
Lavorato says Boggier is not only a "well-respected law enforcement officer," but also a "devoted husband and dad" to his two daughters.
AP wire services helped contribute to this report.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- State police arrested a man for DWI, and seized an AK-47 rifle and ammunition during a traffic stop on the New Jersey Turnpike.
- A steamy day is expected across New Jersey, with the potential for severe weather later on.A steamy day is expected across New Jersey, with the potential for severe weather later on.
- A school board meeting was held Tuesday night in Wall Township, where the board voted to stop all work on the temporary trailer classrooms outside of Central School.
- NEW YORK (AP) - A police supervisor has agreed to give up vacation time to settle a disciplinary case stemming from the 2014 chokehold death of Eric Garner. The New York Police Department confirmed Wednesday that Sgt. Kizzy Adonis' case had been resolved,
- The Denver Post reports public health officials are still finding infected fleas in fields surrounding Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- Are you looking for some outdoor fun and adventure this summer? Or maybe you're just thinking up some ideas to help the kids cool off in the summer heat? The tri-state area has a handful of water parks that may do the trick.