FBI: Bomb devices mailed Booker, other Trump critics wouldn’t have workedPosted: Updated:
An FBI analysis of crudely made pipe bombs mailed to prominent critics of President Donald Trump has concluded they wouldn't have worked.
A January report on the analysis was filed in Manhattan federal court Tuesday.
The FBI said the devices wouldn't have functioned because of their design, though it couldn't be determined whether that was from poor design or the intent of the builder.
It said the fusing system for each device lacked the proper components and assembly to enable it to function.
Cesar Sayoc faces a mandatory 10-year prison term and up to life for mailing the packages out to Democrats, including Sen. Cory Booker. Sayoc also sent a package to CNN’s headquarters.
The Florida man says that he never intended to hurt anyone when he sent the packages out around the midterm elections. He pleaded guilty to explosives-related charges in March.
Sayoc will be sentenced in September.
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Officials say a fire destroyed three tractor-trailers and a car behind a haunted house attraction in Passaic.
- Authorities say an Elizabeth police officer fired a round after a suspect produced a weapon when ordered to stop.
- Officials in Howell have confirmed water in the Manasquan Reservoir is contaminated with another toxic algae bloom.
- A nursing assistant has been charged with manslaughter in the death of an 85-year-old woman who was in her care.
- A 26-year-old homeless man from West Virginia faces charges for allegedly placing two devices that resembled pressure cookers in a New York City subway station.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
- Check out the 2019 concert series lineup at PNC Bank Arts Center.Check out the 2019 concert series lineup at PNC Bank Arts Center.
- Are you looking for some outdoor fun and adventure this summer? Or maybe you're just thinking up some ideas to help the kids cool off in the summer heat? The tri-state area has a handful of water parks that may do the trick.
- Photos from the 2019 On the Road series.Photos from the 2019 On the Road series.