Severe Thunderstorm WATCH in effect for:
Heat ADVISORY in effect for:
Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
Man in sailboat adrift at sea for 2 days washes up on the Jersey ShorePosted: Updated:
A man who says that he was adrift at sea for two days on a sailboat has washed ashore at Island Beach State Park.
Witnesses say that the man arrived at the shore Tuesday morning near Area 5. John Baer and Marsha Killian were two of only a few people relaxing on the beach when they saw the sailboat about two miles offshore.
“He was making his way in, directly for the shore,” says Baer. “When he came onshore it was pretty obvious he was in trouble. The boat was kind of battered."
Other witnesses said that it was strange to see the boat coming so close to the beach.
"And then we saw him actually kind of get washed up on shore,” says Matt Gonzalez.
Lifeguards and police officers quickly showed up to help the boater and remove the sailboat from the beach. Police say that the man was nearly incoherent and did not have any identification. He said that he set sail from Long Island over the weekend.
News 12 New Jersey was able to see the 12-feet long sailboat. It was mostly intact but was not in good condition. Parts of the boat were covered in duct tape or decaying. Empty potato chip bags and soda bottles were found inside the boat.
Beachgoers say that the man looked weak and disheveled. He was taken to Community Hospital in Toms River for evaluation.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- State police arrested a man for DWI, and seized an AK-47 rifle and ammunition during a traffic stop on the New Jersey Turnpike.
- A steamy day is expected across New Jersey, with the potential for severe weather later on.A steamy day is expected across New Jersey, with the potential for severe weather later on.
- A school board meeting was held Tuesday night in Wall Township, where the board voted to stop all work on the temporary trailer classrooms outside of Central School.
- NEW YORK (AP) - A police supervisor has agreed to give up vacation time to settle a disciplinary case stemming from the 2014 chokehold death of Eric Garner. The New York Police Department confirmed Wednesday that Sgt. Kizzy Adonis' case had been resolved,
- The Denver Post reports public health officials are still finding infected fleas in fields surrounding Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City.The Denver Post reports public health officials are still finding infected fleas in fields surrounding Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- Are you looking for some outdoor fun and adventure this summer? Or maybe you're just thinking up some ideas to help the kids cool off in the summer heat? The tri-state area has a handful of water parks that may do the trick.