Authorities: Toddler slips from grandfather's hands, falls to death from cruise ship in Puerto RicoPosted: Updated:
Authorities say a toddler apparently slipped from her grandfather's hands and fell to her death from a cruise ship docked in Puerto Rico.
According to police, the grandfather of the 1-year-old girl from Indiana told officers he lost his grip while holding her outside a window on the 11th story of the Freedom of the Seas.
He was identified as Salvatorre Anello.
The incident occurred Sunday afternoon at the Panamerican dock in the capital of San Juan.
Royal Caribbean Cruises called it a tragic incident and said they were helping the family.
They declined additional comment.
No further details were released.
AP wire services helped contribute to this report.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Officials say a fire destroyed three tractor-trailers and a car behind a haunted house attraction in Passaic.
- Authorities say an Elizabeth police officer fired a round after a suspect produced a weapon when ordered to stop.
- Officials in Howell have confirmed water in the Manasquan Reservoir is contaminated with another toxic algae bloom.
- A nursing assistant has been charged with manslaughter in the death of an 85-year-old woman who was in her care.
- A 26-year-old homeless man from West Virginia faces charges for allegedly placing two devices that resembled pressure cookers in a New York City subway station.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
- Check out the 2019 concert series lineup at PNC Bank Arts Center.Check out the 2019 concert series lineup at PNC Bank Arts Center.
- Are you looking for some outdoor fun and adventure this summer? Or maybe you're just thinking up some ideas to help the kids cool off in the summer heat? The tri-state area has a handful of water parks that may do the trick.
- Photos from the 2019 On the Road series.Photos from the 2019 On the Road series.