Severe Thunderstorm WATCH in effect for:
Heat ADVISORY in effect for:
Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
Tornado flips car at Mount Laurel industrial complexPosted: Updated:
Saturday's wicked weather that pummeled parts of New Jersey spawned a tornado in Burlington County, flipping a car and causing damage to a building.
The National Weather Service had issued tornado warnings and severe thunderstorm warnings throughout the day for areas across the state. The storms brought heavy rain, lightning and thunder.
The tornado hit an industrial complex on Gaither Drive, and luckily there weren't many people around because it struck on a Saturday. Video from Castle Windows captured the moment it flipped over a car that was parked in the parking lot.
An employee at Castle Windows said it was one of her co-workers' cars that was flipped over. More than a dozen employees were inside at the time the tornado hit. Some other employees say their cars were moved in the storm.
"All of a sudden the sky got really dark, our manager came in," said Theresa Coffin. "Five seconds later we started hearing the roof--it felt like the roof was caving in--we jumped under the desk and within seconds, it was over."
The National Weather Service says it was an EF0 waterspout tornado. The National Weather Service says the tornado had winds of about 70 mph and traveled for 0.07 miles. It tore two air conditioners off of a roof and caused some damage, according to the weather service. And a sign was completely crushed from the wind and the car that landed on it.
There were no reports of injuries.
Castle Windows is still assessing the damage to the building, but employees were inside working Sunday.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- State police arrested a man for DWI, and seized an AK-47 rifle and ammunition during a traffic stop on the New Jersey Turnpike.
- Powerful thunderstorms could potentially impact New Jersey Wednesday evening.Powerful thunderstorms could potentially impact New Jersey Wednesday evening.
- A school board meeting was held Tuesday night in Wall Township, where the board voted to stop all work on the temporary trailer classrooms outside of Central School.
- NEW YORK (AP) - A police supervisor has agreed to give up vacation time to settle a disciplinary case stemming from the 2014 chokehold death of Eric Garner. The New York Police Department confirmed Wednesday that Sgt. Kizzy Adonis' case had been resolved,
- The Denver Post reports public health officials are still finding infected fleas in fields surrounding Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City.The Denver Post reports public health officials are still finding infected fleas in fields surrounding Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- Are you looking for some outdoor fun and adventure this summer? Or maybe you're just thinking up some ideas to help the kids cool off in the summer heat? The tri-state area has a handful of water parks that may do the trick.