Meteorologist: Summer to be warmer, wetter than years pastPosted: Updated:
The first day of summer is Friday, and while that usually means a chance to be outdoors in warm weather, the forecast for this season may not cooperate.
Right now, New Jersey is in the middle of a six-day stretch of rainfall that will go through the first day of summer. And that rainy pattern looks to continue.
"Back in 1950, 1960, the individual wettest day of the year averaged about 2.5 inches," says Climate Central Meteorologist Sean Sublette. "Now, the individual wettest day each year is closer to 3.5 inches."
The official outlook for this summer is wetter than normal, as well as warmer.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- State police say a man driving a motorcycle was killed in a crash on the Garden State Parkway.State police say a man driving a motorcycle was killed in a crash on the Garden State Parkway.
- Officials say 19 people have been arrested in connection to a drug trafficking ring in Monmouth County.
- Authorities say the man killed in a crash Thursday on I-80 was hit by a truck after running away from a traffic stop.
- New video has been released showing a police officer in Gloucester Township trying to arrest a teenage driver when the driver sped off, dragging the officer.
- Students for one third-grade teacher in Newark will be quickly transported from Newark to Hogwarts once they walk through the door into the classroom – also known as platform 9 and ¾.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
- Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.