Parking deck remains closed after 40-ton truck falls through upper levelPosted: Updated:
A North Bergen parking deck will remain closed following an incident involving a dump truck.
Authorities say that the driver of the 40-ton truck ignored signs that stated that the weight limit was only 6,000 pounds. The caused a portion of the parking deck to collapse, sending the truck crashing through three levels. It happened Wednesday afternoon at the shopping center located at 81-01 Tonnelle Ave.
Police say that the truck driver got into a fender bender with a car on 81st Street just prior to the incident.
“The driver of the truck says to the driver of the car, ‘Let me turn around and I’ll meet one block away,’ says North Bergen Police Captain William Lyons.
Video from Chopper 12 over the scene
No injuries were reported and no other vehicles were damaged. The shopping center was evacuated and remained closed for the rest of Wednesday.
"It fell and came to a rest about 20 feet from the front door of a Chuck E Cheese which had a field trip today and right outside a gym packed with people,” says North Bergen Police Chief Tiber Dowd.
Tow trucks were used to pull the truck down from its vertical position, but it remains in the garage. Officials are considering taking off the tires or pulling the body apart to get it out.
The truck driver was given a summons for his role in the incident.
It was unclear when the parking deck would reopen.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The chancellor of Rutgers University's Newark campus is apologizing after a video surfaced of her flaunting her position and yelling at campus police.
- Police say a called-in threat at IHOP and Wawa in Toms River evacuated both businesses, and dispatched multiple police units to the area.
- Ciclista muere atropellada en Manhattan. Mañana es día de primarias en NYC, seguimos la contienda por la fiscalia de Queens.
- A man from Long Island has become the 11th American tourist to die in the Dominican Republic, and relatives today expect the results of his autopsy.
- Colts Neck teen Tatum Manake had a Sweet 16 party and asked her guests to make a donation to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital instead of giving her gifts. She did it to honor her aunt and uncle who died from cancer.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The BET Awards were held Sunday, June 23 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.The BET Awards were held Sunday, June 23 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
- The bug-eyed, dreadlocked pooch took top honors Friday night at the 31st annual World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
- Are you or a loved one headed to the prom this year? We want to see your photos!Are you or a loved one headed to the prom this year? We want to see your photos!
- Dead & Company performed to a packed crowd at Citi Field on June 23.Dead & Company performed to a packed crowd at Citi Field on June 23.
- The 29th annual Long Beach Pride Parade kicked off Sunday at noon!The 29th annual Long Beach Pride Parade kicked off Sunday at noon!