Authorities: Pilot of helicopter that crash landed in Hudson River from New JerseyPosted: Updated:
Authorities say the pilot of the helicopter that crash landed in the Hudson River near a busy Manhattan heliport Wednesday is from New Jersey.
According to authorities, Eric Morales, 35, of Mendham, survived with only minor injuries after his chopper went down.
The crash happened Thursday around 2:30 p.m.
According to police, the pilot just refueled and was attempting to take off and reposition for a landing when he lost control.
“He took a tailwind and he spun real fast, and he went right into the water,” says witness Jack Linkin. “It couldn't have happened any longer than like five seconds, it just happened so quickly.
New York Waterway Capt. Adam Sciaino was carrying passengers across the Hudson River when he saw the helicopter go down -- and headed over to make a rescue.
“We didn’t really know what we were gonna see when we got over there,” says Sciaino.
The pilot was seen standing on one of the safety pontoons.
Deck hand Edwin Montoya threw the Jacobs ladder over to him so he could climb up.
Capt. Sciaino says they train for these types of situations.
“We do man overboard drills,” says Scianino. “The ladder in the water and recovering recover fake dummies -- we have plenty of drills we do.”
A dock worker attempting to get out of the way of the helicopter slipped and injured his right wrist.
Morales was the only person on board.
The helicopter is owned by a company called Zip Charter Services.
It is unknown what caused the crash at this time.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police in Ridgefield have confirmed a house has exploded.Police in Ridgefield have confirmed a house has exploded.
- Chopper 12 was overhead as crews responded to a house explosion in Ridgefield.Chopper 12 was overhead as crews responded to a house explosion in Ridgefield.
- The National Weather Service has issued a flash flood watch for most of New Jersey until later tonight in advance of potentially severe weather.
- Officials say a man was struck and killed by a New Jersey Transit train in northern Jersey.Officials say a man was struck and killed by a New Jersey Transit train in northern Jersey.
“I wrote about my pop pop in the military” – 3rd-grader wins essay contest; soars in hot-air balloon
“I wrote about my pop pop in the military” – 3rd-grader wins essay contest; soars in hot-air balloonA third-grader from Hazlet who won an essay contest about what the American flag means to her won the prize of soaring over her elementary school in a hot-air balloon.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Celebrate your father this Father's Day! Send us photos of you and your dad or you and your kids!Celebrate your father this Father's Day! Send us photos of you and your dad or you and your kids!
- Here are the attendees of the 'Toy Story 4' premiere.Here are the attendees of the 'Toy Story 4' premiere.
- Photos of the scene after a helicopter crash landed on a building in Manhattan. The pilot was killed.
- Are you or a loved one headed to the prom this year? We want to see your photos!Are you or a loved one headed to the prom this year? We want to see your photos!
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.