Newark officials: Suspect arrested in hit-and-run that injured toddlerPosted: Updated:
Newark officials say an Essex County man is behind bars, accused of hitting a toddler with his pickup truck and leaving the scene.
Police arrested 26-year-old Romane Errol Sr., of Newark, hours after allegedly hitting-and-running over 2-year-old Eno Itiro outside of her Brookdale Avenue home in Newark Sunday morning.
Surveillance video shows the moment a white pickup truck struck toddler and then sped away. Errol is accused of driving the truck.
Soon after the incident, two more cars drove down the street. The drivers called police when they saw the girl lying there.
Jameson Itiro is the child's father. He says the family was getting ready for church, and there was a miscommunication with his wife at the time of the incident.
"Her mom thought she was with me. I thought she was with her mom," he says.
The family lives right across the street from the church. Jameson Itiro was home while his wife was inside the church with the couple's 1-month-old little girl. Once the mother found out her other child had been hit, she rushed to the child's side.
Moments later, detectives located the pickup truck just a short distance away from the scene.
Errol has been charged with fourth-degree operating a motor vehicle without a valid license and causing serious bodily injury.
He's expected to go before a judge soon.
The toddler was taken to University Hospital with rib fractures and collapsed lungs, and is in critical condition.
- Funerals will be held at the end of the week for two men who were killed in a high-speed crash in Toms River.
- America's largest milk producer Dean Foods, headquartered in Dallas, Texas, is filing for bankruptcy.
- Ford is recalling over 168,000 F-150 pickup trucks in North America to fix an electrical problem that could cause engine stalling or fires.Ford is recalling over 168,000 F-150 pickup trucks in North America to fix an electrical problem that could cause engine stalling or fires.
- Manalapan Mayor Susan Cohen asked state leaders to close down the privately owned, and state-licensed Manalapan Manor, citing several of its residents have died in recent years from a variety of causes.
- Gov. Phil Murphy says the state will work to overhaul its criminal sentencing guidelines, including eliminating certain mandatory minimum sentences.Gov. Phil Murphy says the state will work to overhaul its criminal sentencing guidelines, including eliminating certain mandatory minimum sentences.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.