Jersey Shore restaurant damaged by Sandy finally torn downPosted: Updated:
A shuttered relic left over from Hurricane Sandy is finally coming down, years after it was severely damaged by the hurricane.
The concession stand at parking lot D on Sandy Hook was destroyed after the storm. Above the stand, the Seagull's Nest Restaurant was a shore favorite for its sunset views.
The concession stand only stood for 16 years, but the memories made at the restaurant in the short time were enough to leave quite a lasting impact.
During the summer months, the top deck offered spectacular views of the sunset overlooking Sandy Hook Bay as a nightly recording of Kate Smith's “God Bless America” played over the PA system.
But Hurricane Sandy came and severely damaged just about every concession stand on the peninsula.
In 2014, the family-run business could not cover the necessary repairs due to insurance reasons, and the National Park Service took over control of the vacated building.
Earlier we spoke with a long time customer and local about what this spot meant to the community.
Demolition of the old building is just about complete, but crews will be on scene for a couple more days removing the debris.
The National Park Service says they are still early in the planning stages as to a replacement at the location, but they do want it to recapture the beauty of the area.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A tanker truck has overturned on the New Jersey Turnpike on an exit ramp in Middlesex County.A tanker truck has overturned on the New Jersey Turnpike on an exit ramp in Middlesex County.
- The chance for severe weather is on tap Thursday afternoon across parts of New Jersey that could bring heavy rain, damaging winds, and an isolated tornado.
- "Real Housewives of New Jersey” husband Joe Giudice will stay in the U.S. during his ongoing deportation battle.
- Buscan a un hombre que paró varias veces vagones del subway en plena hora pico.Buscan a un hombre que paró varias veces vagones del subway en plena hora pico.
- Police in Gloucester Township are looking for a man who approached a 12-year-old girl walking her dog.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Fleet Week New York started May 22. This year marks the 31st annual event that features a week filled of activities, themed events and live demonstrations.Fleet Week New York started May 22. This year marks the 31st annual event that features a week filled of activities, themed events and live demonstrations.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.