Coastal Flood STATEMENT in effect for:
Man indicted in gas money scam involving homeless veteranPosted: Updated:
(AP) - Prosecutors say a New Jersey man has been indicted on charges stemming from his role in fabricating a feel-good story about a homeless man rescuing a woman from the side of a highway in order to scam online donors out of $400,000 in contributions.
Burlington County Prosecutor Scott Coffina said Wednesday that 39-year-old Mark D'Amico, of Florence, was indicted on six separate charges related to the scheme.
A message has been left with D'Amico's attorney.
Johnny Bobbitt and Katelyn McClure pleaded guilty in exchange for their cooperation with authorities.
Authorities say the trio concocted the story that Bobbitt rescued McClure, D'Amico's then-girlfriend, from the side of a Philadelphia interstate in 2017 to enrich themselves.
Prosecutors say the three split the money and spent lavishly.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police say a sixth person has been charged in connection to the Pleasantville High School football game shooting - and he also happens to be one of the victims.
- Police say a Newark man was arrested Saturday for illegally selling alcohol in the restaurant he owns.
- A former New York City police officer has been sentenced to life in prison for fatally stabbing his ex-girlfriend with a machete-style knife during an ambush at her New Jersey home.
- A report by the ACLU of New Jersey shows marijuana-related arrests jumped about 35% over a four-year period ending in 2017.
- Chick-fil-A is opening four new locations around New Jersey, specifically Ramsey, Edison, Barrington and Wayne.
- Move over Hollywood -- Paterson is making a name for itself in the world of film and television, as at least three projects are currently filming in the city.
- Police say at least nine people were shot at a party in Fresno in what appears to be a “mass casualty shooting,” local media report.
- Two men and a woman were fatally shot Monday morning outside a Walmart store in southwestern Oklahoma, and the shooter is among the dead, authorities said.Two men and a woman were fatally shot Monday morning outside a Walmart store in southwestern Oklahoma, and the shooter is among the dead, authorities said.