Suit claims 'pathogen soup' let amoeba thrive at Texas park

Posted: Updated:
WACO, Tx. -

(AP) - The mother of a New Jersey man who died of a rare "brain-eating amoeba" after visiting a Texas surf resort has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the water park.

Health officials say testing found evidence of the rare but deadly amoeba at one of the four attractions at the BSR Cable Park and Surf Resort in Waco. Fabrizio Stabile was 29 when he died on Sept. 21 from an infection, which can happen when contaminated water enters the body through the nose.

RELATED: Officials: New Jersey man likely got 'brain-eating amoeba' at Texas resort 
RELATED: Man who lost son to ‘brain-eating amoeba’ fights to save others 

The Houston Chronicle reports that Rita Stabile's lawsuit seeks more than $1 million. The lawsuit was filed last week. It alleges the park's blue-green dyed waters "masked a pathogen soup" that allowed the amoeba to thrive.

The park says it's since installed a new water filtration system.

(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."