Police director skeptical after victim claims West New York hazing was a hoaxPosted: Updated:
Police are investigating whether a potential hazing incident in West New York is a hoax, as the victim has claimed.
The investigation started on April 4 when a video was posted to social media showing a member of the varsity Memorial High School Tigers baseball team bound, gagged and drugged in what appeared to be some sort of hazing incident.
Police say they spoke to the victim who claimed the incident was a hoax, but police director Robert Antolos is skeptical.
Antolos said, “I want to get to the bottom of this. I’ve got to find out what actually did happen. I wanna make sure that it’s not something that they have been sweeping under the rug.”
West New York Mayor Felix Roque, however, seemed to believe it was time to move on, "We’re kicking it back to the school for internal discipline but other than that the police investigation is complete and there’s not gonna be any criminal charges.”
The mayor said he has zero tolerance for this behavior.
The varsity team was back on the field Thursday after having their game on Wednesday postponed due to the situation.
The video of the incident has been removed from social media and no students have been named.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Law enforcement officials have issued an Amber Alert for a 5-year-old girl who went missing in Bridgeton Monday afternoon.
- Members of the northern New Jersey community have come together to mourn with and support the family of a 2-year-old boy struck and killed by a dump truck Monday morning.
- Dozens of children were forced to leave the soccer field Monday when fumes coming from the Keegan Landfill became too dangerous.
- Family members of a missing Monmouth County woman say that they fear something bad happened to her prior to her home being set on fire.
- New Jersey authorities say four police officers caught on camera kicking a man after a fiery crash will not face jail time.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.
- A variety of artists will be performing at the Prudential Center in Newark for the rest of 2019 and beyond. Ticket information for the various shows can be found HERE.