Students suspended after fight East Brunswick superintendent calls a hate crimePosted: Updated:
Additional charges could be filed following a fight between a couple of students this week at East Brunswick High School that led to suspensions.
The superintendent is calling what happened a hate crime.
It started when the students got into a fight over a chair.
During the fight, one tried to pull off the other’s hijab, officials say.
The student accused of trying to pull off the hijab is facing assault, harassment and other charges.
East Brunswick Schools Superintendent Dr. Victor Valeski says, “The fight was determined to be a bias incident and was immediately reported to the East Brunswick police.”
He continued, “The district does not tolerate any incidents of bias, discrimination harassment, intimidation or bullying and takes swift action if such an event occurs.”
A student told News 12, “People are mad at the school for suspending her cause they feel that she didn’t deserve it, cause it’s going to be on her record and she wouldn’t be able to walk at graduation.”
There’s a petition against the school’s no tolerance policy that now has 4,000 signatures from people that are just upset that that student may not be able to walk at graduation.
The attorney general’s office is investigating the incident.
They have not released the names of the students involved because they are juveniles.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- An event that will be held Saturday at Branch Brook Park in Newark is meant to give training and information about asthma.
- Tests confirm that there is no lead contamination in Belleville's drinking water, officials say.Tests confirm that there is no lead contamination in Belleville's drinking water, officials say.
- This week's workout comes from Allen Rosenbluth at Club Pilates in Oceanside. Grab a paper plate and a ball for a gliding lunge.
- It's time to DANCE! Happy National Dance Day! Do you like to dance?It's time to DANCE! Happy National Dance Day! Do you like to dance?
- As summer says it's final goodbye this weekend, 30,000 people will be headed to the Sea.Hear.Now music festival in Asbury Park Saturday.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.