Newark gun buyback event nets 332 firearms, pays out $41KPosted: Updated:
A gun buyback event in Essex County brought in more than 300 weapons last weekend, from handguns that fit comfortably in a palm to assault rifles with high-tech accessories.
The Essex County Prosecutor's Office displayed some of the weapons Wednesday. They said the event held Saturday yielded 332 firearms and paid out about $41,000.
“The 332 weapons were taken off the street, saving countless lives,” said acting Essex County Prosecutor Theodore Stephens. “It's anonymous and that's what makes the program successful. People feel secure knowing they can bring the gun in with no questions asked at all and because our goal is just to get it off the street."
Most of the money was raised by the Essex County Bar Foundation. It's one of the first privately funded gun buyback events in New Jersey.
The maximum payout per gun was $250. The weapons will be melted down and recycled.
Stephens called the event "a tremendous success."
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Television celebrity chef and restaurateur Carl Ruiz has died. He was 44.Television celebrity chef and restaurateur Carl Ruiz has died. He was 44.
- The New Jersey chapter of the Make A Wish Foundation held its Walk and Roll for Wishes event in Jersey City Sunday, which helps raise money to make dreams come true for sick children.
- The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office says a woman was fatally shot in Bayonne early Sunday morning.The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office says a woman was fatally shot in Bayonne early Sunday morning.
- Game of Thrones" resurrected the Iron Throne at Sunday's Emmy ceremony, ruling as top drama on a night of surprises in which "Pose" star Billy Porter made history and the comedy series "Fleabag" led a British invasion that overturned expectations.
- New Jersey state police chased down a speeding car and approached it with their guns drawn on Friday, only to find a woman who was in labor inside.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Sights and scenes from the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards, held Sunday, Sept. 22, 2019, at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
- While costumed space aliens were a common and sometimes hilarious sight in events that began Thursday, no one has reported seeing actual extraterrestrials or UFOs.
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach