Excessive Heat WARNING in effect for:
NJ Transit admits a Dunkin’ opens one of its stations and Twitter lost its mindPosted: Updated:
New Jersey Transit has seemingly admitted that a Dunkin’ is responsible for opening the doors to one of its stations, resulting in a big response on social media.
It all started Thursday morning when a Twitter user tweeted the official NJ Transit Twitter account asking why a train was running late, and asking if the agency would ever fix its app.
The NJ Transit employee running the account Thursday morning responded to the user and told him that alerts about trains can be found on the app. The tweet was signed “TB.”
Another Twitter user then chimed in and stated that “TB” is the same person who “’assumes’ the doors get opened at Hamilton,” referring to the fact that the doors to the Hamilton Train Station were locked one day.
“TB” then responded, “Dunkin' is responsible for opening the doors in the morning at Hamilton station. NJT has spoken to the vendor multiple times. If you would like to file a formal complaint, use the link below.” with a link provided.
This caused other Twitters to pounce on NJ Transit, incredulous that a donut shop would be in charge of opening the doors to the station and not NJ Transit itself. “TB” stated that this was part of Dunkin's contract when purchasing the location.”
Twitter users then did what Twitter users do best and began posting memes, GIFs and jokes about the situation.
“Hey Jerry, sorry you can’t go to work today, the donut guy is hung over again,” @souldeux tweeted.
“So, NJ Transit literally runs on Dunkin,” tweeted @BryanFJacoutot.
"Are any other completely unrelated businesses in charge of opening doors at other stations? Or do any other task? Is like Taco Bell in charge of changing all the light bulbs in Secaucus?" asked @AddMyDadOnFB.
There were also many references to the old Dunkin’ slogan “Time to make the doughnuts.”
The exchange became so popular that it even showed up on Twitter’s trending moments for the day.
A spokesperson for Dunkin' says in a statement to News 12 New Jersey, "We are aware of the situation at the NJ Transit Hamilton train station. The Dunkin' located within the Hamilton train station opens each weekday at 4:30 a.m. As stated on NJ Transit's website, ticket office hours begin at 6 a.m. each weekday. Additionally, ticket vending machines and access to the platform are available to passengers throughout the exterior of the NJ Transit Hamilton train station."
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The Haskell Invitational horse race is still on schedule for Saturday, despite calls from the public to postpone it due to excessive heat.The Haskell Invitational horse race is still on schedule for Saturday, despite calls from the public to postpone it due to excessive heat.
- Most of New Jersey is under an excessive heat warning for Friday as temperatures reach well into the 90s.Most of New Jersey is under an excessive heat warning for Friday as temperatures reach well into the 90s.
- Officials say a roller coaster at Six Flags in Maryland came to a controlled stop, stranding riders at the top of the lift.Officials say a roller coaster at Six Flags in Maryland came to a controlled stop, stranding riders at the top of the lift.
- News 12 honors astronaut Buzz Aldrin, a New Jersey native, on the 50th anniversary of humans walking on the moon.
- Offensive lineman Mitch Petrus, a walk-on at Arkansas who went on to a three-year NFL career that included a Super Bowl win with the New York Giants, has died.Offensive lineman Mitch Petrus, a walk-on at Arkansas who went on to a three-year NFL career that included a Super Bowl win with the New York Giants, has died.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- When Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin took their first steps on the moon in 1969, the world was watching.When Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin took their first steps on the moon in 1969, the world was watching.
- Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.
- Here are the photos of the guests who visited the News 12 studio to showcase the great eats New Jersey trucks have to offer!
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.
The Stone Pony Summer Stage Acts for 2019
The Stone Pony Summer Stage Acts for 2019