Study: Using pot daily can increase risk of developing a psychotic disorderPosted: Updated:
A new study by the journal Lancet Psychiatry suggests that those who use marijuana every day or those who use marijuana with a high THC concentration are at increased risk for developing a psychotic disorder.
“The regular use of any kind of psychotropic agent is going to increase the risk of this psychosis getting even more dangerous,” says News 12’s Dr. Derrick DeSilva.
Researchers at King’s College in London performed the study. According to the research, “Cannabis use is associated with increased risk of later psychotic disorder but whether it affects incidence of the disorder remains unclear.”
“It will affect certain centers of the brain that will interfere with the way you react and respond,” DeSilva says. “And also cognitive function.”
Symptoms of psychosis may include hallucination and delusion and also heart problems.
But New Jersey’s most outspoken cannabis advocate says that he is skeptical of the study. Ed “NJ Weedman” Forchion says that he has been using marijuana for 35 years.
“I’ve never had any mental issues over it. In fact, if anything, it’s helped any issues I’ve had,” Forchion says. “I think I’m a much more pleasant person to deal with. I don’t have as open anger issues.”
New Jersey lawmakers are getting closer to approving legislation to legalize recreational use of marijuana for adults. A vote is expected to take place on March 25.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Television celebrity chef and restaurateur Carl Ruiz has died. He was 44.Television celebrity chef and restaurateur Carl Ruiz has died. He was 44.
- The New Jersey chapter of the Make A Wish Foundation held its Walk and Roll for Wishes event in Jersey City Sunday, which helps raise money to make dreams come true for sick children.
- The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office says a woman was fatally shot in Bayonne early Sunday morning.The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office says a woman was fatally shot in Bayonne early Sunday morning.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- It's time for pumpkin everything, change in leaf colors and sweater weather!It's time for pumpkin everything, change in leaf colors and sweater weather!
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Sights and scenes from the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards, held Sunday, Sept. 22, 2019, at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
- While costumed space aliens were a common and sometimes hilarious sight in events that began Thursday, no one has reported seeing actual extraterrestrials or UFOs.
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach