New Jersey lawmakers advance bill to legalize recreational marijuanaPosted: Updated:
(AP) - New Jersey lawmakers advanced legislation to legalize recreational marijuana.
Democratic-controlled Assembly and Senate legislative committees advanced the legislation Monday after hours of delay while legislators worked on amendments to a deal Gov. Phil Murphy and leaders announced recently.
New Jersey would join 10 states and the District of Columbia in legalizing the drug if the measure is approved.
Murphy and Democratic legislative leaders announced a deal on legalization last week.
The bill lawmakers voted on Monday contained many of the same details Murphy announced, including a $42 an ounce tax, though towns could impose taxes of up to 3 percent in cases.
But legislators also unveiled additional details on making expunging marijuana convictions easier, like the dismissal of pending charges for possession of up to 5 pounds of cannabis.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- A Mount Arlington man is facing sexual assault charges for an alleged incident involving a toddler.A Mount Arlington man is facing sexual assault charges for an alleged incident involving a toddler.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- The four-day long NYC Wine and Food Festival has come to a close. It featured more than 80 events throughout the city, 500 chefs, and more than 50,000 attendees.
- Beach season may be over, but that didn't stop student surfers from hitting the waters at Spring Lake Beach Sunday.
- Monday marks the start of New Jersey's black bear hunting season.Monday marks the start of New Jersey's black bear hunting season.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
Do you like to gamble? Or maybe you're just looking to get away for a weekend or for a night? The tri-state area has a couple casinos that may do the trick. Here is a guide to casinos in the area.
- New York Comic Con is being held at the Javits Center Oct. 3-6, and News 12 is there! Click or tap on the photos to get a look at all of the fun!