Ex-priest from NJ defrocked for sex abuse killed in his Nevada homePosted: Updated:
A defrocked Roman Catholic priest named as one of more than 180 New Jersey priests facing credible accusations of sexual abuse was fatally shot in a new home in a suburb of Las Vegas, authorities said Tuesday.
John Capparelli, 70, was found dead Saturday morning in his kitchen in the city of Henderson with a gunshot wound to his neck, said Nicole Charlton of the Clark County Coroner's Office.
Capparelli died amid "suspicious circumstances," but police Officer Katrina Rothmeyer declined to comment on whether police have a suspect or whether someone broke into the ex-priest's home.
Rich Fitter of Sparta says that he was sexually abused by Capparelli when he was 16 years old. He says that he was stunned to hear the news.
“I would say karma was at work,” Fitter says.” It’s fitting that his passing was under the suspicion that it was.”
Capparelli was removed from the ministry by the Newark Archdiocese in 1992, but he went on to teach in Newark’s public schools before an investigation resulted in him giving up his educator’s license in 2011.
Neighbors in Nevada say that the former priest was tutoring college-age students in his home.
Fitter says that the abuse he took from Capparelli still haunts him.
“I do still carry a lot of the damage he left me with,” Fitter says.
Capparelli bought the Las Vegas home in August 2016 for $319,000, according to county property records.
Joann D'Angelo, a neighbor of Capparelli's who lives two doors down, said he lived alone and occasionally waved hello. But his past was not well-known in the retiree community, she said.
"He was a very quiet man," D'Angelo said. "He minded his own business."
D'Angelo said police told her they believed Capparelli was killed sometime Wednesday because he failed to show up for dinner plans with a friend that night.
She said the friend came by on Saturday morning to check on Capparelli and called the police, who broke in and found his body.
D'Angelo said she was home all day Wednesday and told police she never heard a gunshot.
Police have ruled the death a homicide.
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The FBI has joined in on the search for a 5-year-old girl believed to have been abducted from a park in Cumberland County.
- A former movie theater in Edgewater is being demolished.A former movie theater in Edgewater is being demolished.
- State police have confirmed a portion of a human skull was discovered on a beach in Egg Harbor Township.
- Shake Shack has announced an opening date for its second restaurant in South Jersey.Shake Shack has announced an opening date for its second restaurant in South Jersey.
- Arrr! 'tis time t' celebrate International Talk Like A Pirate Day! Do ye know how t' natter like a pirate?
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.