Newark man on FBI’s Most Wanted list arrested in MarylandPosted: Updated:
A Newark man accused of killing his fiancée in 2014 has been captured in Maryland.
Lamont Stephenson, 43, is accused of killing Olga DeJesus and her dog inside of their Newark apartment Oct. 14, 2014. Stephenson was charged with her murder, but fled New Jersey.
The victim’s family says that they have been waiting for her alleged killer to be brought to justice.
“It's overwhelming right now,” says brother Felix DeJesus.
Stephenson was added to the FBI’s Most Wanted list in October 2018 and was finally captured Thursday.
“147 days ago I stood in this room and spoke to members of the press with my partners…and we said the world becomes a very small place. And we warned Mr. Stephenson that he would be found,” says FBI Special Agent in Charge Gregory Ehrie.
Law enforcement officials in Washington, D.C. say that Stephenson has been living “essentially as a homeless person” for the last several years.
Officials say that Stephenson allegedly stabbed a woman and her cat to death Wednesday night in D.C. He was arrested several hours later in Prince Georges County, Maryland after police were dispatched for reports of a suspicious person taking refuge inside a truck.
“He initially stated he was homeless and had just done it to get out of the weather. That conversation continued however and they asked for his name and address. He provided a name but then also offered that he may be wanted in connection with additional crimes,” says Prince George's County Police Chief Hank Stawinski.
As they wait for Stephenson's day in court, the DeJesus family says that they wish to offer compassion.
“I feel sorry for his family now, that have to suffer like we've been suffering for four years,” Felix DeJesus says.
Stephenson could be extradited to New Jersey as early as Friday.
- Authorities have made an arrest in the murder and sexual assault of a woman found dead in her Old Bridge apartment.
- The parents of a 4-month-old boy who suffocated early last year at a motel have been indicted for murder in connection with his death.
- A grand jury has indicted a Newark police officer in a deadly shooting during a police pursuit.A grand jury has indicted a Newark police officer in a deadly shooting during a police pursuit.
- A Monmouth County man is facing charges, accused of dragging two Newark police officers with his car on Saturday..
- A Little Ferry mother admitted to killing her baby, according to investigators in Bergen County.A Little Ferry mother admitted to killing her baby, according to investigators in Bergen County.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- New Jersey police say nine people were wounded in a shooting at a Trenton bar Saturday.New Jersey police say nine people were wounded in a shooting at a Trenton bar Saturday.
- New Jersey health officials are warning residents of Legionnaires' disease and measles cases around the state.
- This week's workout comes from trainer Jamie at Lifestyle Fitness. This medicine ball throw and twist is great for your core and obliques.
- It's National Wine Day! What type of wine do you like?It's National Wine Day! What type of wine do you like?
The largest U.S. seller of San Marzano tomatoes, known to food lovers as the best tomatoes to make pasta sauce, has been hit with two federal lawsuits claiming what's inside the can isn't the real thing.