Refrigerator leaks toxic gas, shoppers evacuated in Maplewood

Posted: Updated:
MAPLEWOOD -

Shoppers were evacuated from an Essex County grocery store Sunday night after a refrigerator began leaking a toxic gas.

Customers say they were shopping at Extra Supermarket on Irvington Avenue in Maplewood when they began noticing a haze in the aisles.

Firefighters arrived around 7:30 p.m. and evacuated shoppers immediately. No one was injured as a result of the leak.

Officials say a refrigerator in the basement had a small gas leak. The gas could be toxic if inhaled for long periods of time, but firefighters say they evacuated the approximately 30 shoppers inside quickly and safely.

"We are just ventilating the building with natural means, with fans, opening doors. We have other companies on scene helping us with that. And once it is ventilated it will all be good and business as usual tomorrow," says Captain Mike Hannigan.

The Health Department will inspect the supermarket and give the final OK Monday morning.

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."