Manager, employees tied up in an armed robbery at Taco BellPosted: Updated:
Police in Union Township are looking for an armed robber who held up a Taco Bell and got away with thousands.
Police say that the robbery happened Sunday around 6:30 a.m. at the Taco Bell along Route 22. The manager of the store was approached outside by the robber.
"As he was coming back in, he noticed an individual pulled up behind him and put something to the back of his head, what he believed to be a handgun,” says Detective Victor Correia.
Police say the suspect threatened to kill the manager if he didn't take him inside.
Surveillance cameras inside the Taco Bell show the robbery. The suspect is wearing a green trench coat and a ski mask. He is seen walking the manager into the back of the Taco Bell, where the money is kept from the night before.
"He then pulled out some type of zip ties, told him to tie the other two employees near a cooler in the back,” Correia says.
The suspect is then seen leaving with a bag full of $5,000 in cash.
Detectives tell News 12 New Jersey that the gunman used a side door of the Taco Bell to get in and out of the restaurant. When the suspect left, police say he walked over to the nearby Petco, where he was parked. Unfortunately, that building doesn't have any surveillance cameras, so police do not have a clear picture of what the getaway car looks like.
Correia says that investigators believe that the suspect is a former employee because he seemed to be familiar with the store and the manager’s routine.
Police are asking for the public to come forward if they know who robbed the store. Union County Crime Stoppers is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to an arrest. Anyone with information should call 908-654-8477.
- The owner of a Sussex County petting zoo has been indicted on several animal cruelty charges.The owner of a Sussex County petting zoo has been indicted on several animal cruelty charges.
- A Toms River man has been arrested for allegedly assaulting an elementary school employee.A Toms River man has been arrested for allegedly assaulting an elementary school employee.
- A Sayreville teacher has been arrested for alleged child pornography.A Sayreville teacher has been arrested for alleged child pornography.
- An Elizabeth man has been charged with reckless manslaughter in connection with a fatal stabbing that happened Friday night.
- A man was arrested in connection to a shooting outside a ShopRite in Newark, police say.A man was arrested in connection to a shooting outside a ShopRite in Newark, police say.
- Camden County police say they are looking to cut down on crime in the city with help from artificial intelligence.
- The Hobbymaster store in Red Bank has announced it will be closing.The Hobbymaster store in Red Bank has announced it will be closing.
- The American Transportation Institute ranked a road in Fort Lee the most congested intersections in the nation.
- President Trump grants clemency to 11 people using presidential pardonPresident Trump grants clemency to 11 people using presidential pardon
- The NJ Department of Transportation says it is spending less on snow removal than in previous years.The NJ Department of Transportation says it is spending less on snow removal than in previous years.