Coastal Flood STATEMENT in effect for:
Authorities: Priest, parishioner help foil church burglaryPosted: Updated:
A priest and a church parishioner are being credited for helping to foil a burglary at a house of worship.
Bayonne police say that Adam Wisniewski broke into the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of St. Sophia Sunday and tried to break open the donation box meant for sick or needy children.
Police say that a priest and parishioner saw Wisniewski inside using a screwdriver to break into the box. He pushed them down and tried to leave, but they were able to hold him until police arrived, according to officials.
No one was hurt.
Bayonne police say that Wisniewski has been charged in the past for allegedly stealing from donation boxes inside of churches.
- A teenager who suffered a gunshot wound ran to nearby Brick Memorial High School for help, prompting a lockdown at the school.
- Authorities in Paterson have arrested a man in connection with the murder of a DoorDash delivery driver.
- A 17-year-old has been arrested for allegedly breaking into a student's dorm room at Rutgers University and sexually assaulting a student who was asleep inside, police say.
- A man from Ocean County has been charged with murder after allegedly stabbing another man at a campground in Manchester Township, according to police.
- A woman was found dead in the home where a man was fatally shot by police Friday.A woman was found dead in the home where a man was fatally shot by police Friday.
- Police in Linden say a passenger of a vehicle was killed after the driver struck a parked tractor-trailer.
- The American Dream mega mall in East Rutherford opens Friday, including the Nickelodeon Universe theme park. Here is a guide for everything you need to know.
- A Paterson family says that a family tragedy was made even worse when a funeral home mixed up the body of their loved one.
- A restaurant in Closter got a surprise good luck charm from a pair of customers after they ordered oysters, and found a pearl in one of them.
- Penn State University has suspended a fraternity following the off-campus death of 17-year-old boy.Penn State University has suspended a fraternity following the off-campus death of 17-year-old boy.