'It stinks in here': Strong stench plagues Monmouth County residentsPosted: Updated:
Something stinks in Monmouth County, and residents are not happy about it.
Hundreds of county residents crammed into a public meeting in Tinton Falls Monday evening to express their anger and concern over a putrid smell they say can be noticed for miles.
The smell is coming from the Monmouth County Reclamation Center – a landfill in Tinton Falls. Residents say that the smell has become worse due to construction at the site.
Over 50 New Jersey municipalities throw their garbage there – over 400,000 tons of garbage per year.
County residents say the smell is embarrassing and that they are also worried about their health.
“Watching TV with my husband and I said, 'It stinks outside, I can tell because it stinks in here.' I have air fresheners everywhere,” said one county resident.
Officials are blaming recent heavy rains for making the smell worse. The smell intensifies when water mixes with garbage, according to officials.
County officials say that they are working on ways to neutralize the odor.
The county says there was a push in the 1990s for an incinerator instead of a garbage dump, but that plan was rejected.
- A 44-year-old Paterson man is facing charges for allegedly videotaping two women inside of a bathroom at the Clifton Barnes & Noble bookstore.A 44-year-old Paterson man is facing charges for allegedly videotaping two women inside of a bathroom at the Clifton Barnes & Noble bookstore.
- A case of the mumps has been reported at Grice Middle School in Hamilton Township, according to a letter sent to parents by the school district.
- A winning Powerball New Jersey lottery ticket worth $50,000 was sold at the ShopRite in Lanoka Harbor.
- It may be a bad flu season for kids, but early signs suggest the flu vaccine is working OK.It may be a bad flu season for kids, but early signs suggest the flu vaccine is working OK.
- Democratic presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg says he's willing to release at least three women from nondisclosure agreementsDemocratic presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg says he's willing to release at least three women from nondisclosure agreements
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Send us photos of all of the pets you love!Send us photos of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!